Daily Archives: 25/02/2015

13-year-old and 14-year-old charged during police burglary operation – Armidale

Police have charged two youths, aged 13 and 14, during a blitz on break and enter offences at Armidale in the state’s New England region.

Around 1.30am yesterday (Tuesday 24 February), police from the New England Local Area Command pulled over a blue Holden sedan in Kirkwood Street, Armidale.

The vehicle stop occurred a short time after a reported home break-in nearby Niagara Street.

When officers searched the car, they allegedly found a number of stolen goods, including mobile phones, stashed under the front passenger seat.

A 13-year-old youth was arrested and charged with Break, Enter and Steal; and denied bail by a court yesterday afternoon.

Detectives also travelled to an Armidale address yesterday afternoon and arrested a 14-year-old youth over the alleged possession of house breaking implements in connection with an incident last year.

That teenager has been charged, refused police bail and ordered to appear in court today.

The arrests follow the apprehension and charging of a 44-year-old man with the unrelated possession of house breaking implements and prohibited weapons at the weekend.

Police have announced a crackdown on break and enter offences in the New England area.

Local Area Commander, Fred Trench, says the three arrests in as many days show police are serious about addressing burglaries in the district.

“We’re pulling out all stops to catch those responsible but we need the community’s help,” Superintendent Trench said.

“If you spot suspicious behaviour in your neighbourhood, tell us about it,” he said.

“You can also help by ensuring your home is not a tempting target for burglars by reviewing your security measures.”

Anyone with information about break-in offences in the New England area is urged to contact Armidale Police on (02) 6771 0699 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

World’s Largest Orchestra Launches “Concert for the Planet”

For Release – Wednesday, 25 February, 2015: The Global Orchestra has today launched the inaugural Concert for the Planet, a mass participation, multi location, first of its kind performance of Holst’s The Planets. Musicians and communities around the globe will come together via innovative technology to mark our commitment to listen to each other and our planet’s needs during Earth Hour 2015.

The unique performance will take place at 8:30pm on 28th March 2015, in the count down to this year’s Earth Hour. Global Orchestra’s Conductor-Cam will capture and stream live the Sydney Symphony Orchestra’s (SSO) highly acclaimed Chief Conductor and Artistic Director David Robertson as he leads the SSO through Holst’s The Planets.

With the support of SSO, Global Orchestra has also created musical arrangements, instructional videos, lesson plans and information packs for participants to play their part on the big night. The Conductor-Cam, featuring David Robertson conducting the SSO live in performance, will also guide players through the bar numbers and count players in to ensure everyone follows the score and knows when to play their part.

Chair of the Global Orchestra Foundation, Angela Catterns AM explained, “The inaugural Concert for the Planet will be a fitting embellishment to Earth Hour. We hope it’ll spread across the world and become an annual event and a musical movement for environmental awareness and change.”

David Robertson said the inaugural Concert for the Planet would demonstrate the Orchestra’s continued commitment to digital education and accessibility.

“At the SSO we’re always looking for innovative ways to allow audiences across Australia and overseas to experience our performances ,” Mr Robertson said. “We’re thrilled to be joining the Global Orchestra Foundation in this multimedia project which will allow audiences and musicians across the world to connect with the SSO and the music in a new and exciting way.”

In another world first, Google + will live stream a broadcast quality, multi camera production of the SSO’s performance, via Hangout on Air.

While the main event will take place at the Sydney Opera House, events are being hosted across the globe as community groups come together to perform in unison with the SSO via the live stream.

Earth Hour is supporting the initiative and encouraging schools to link with the Global Orchestra to further spread the word of this unique opportunity. More than 200 community and schools groups have already registered, with thousands of participants rehearsing in the lead up to the Concert for the Planet.

Global Orchestra Founder and Artistic Director, Charlie Chan, said: “Our goal is to have 100,000 participants across 500 locations in Australia and abroad playing in sync to as the soundtrack during Earth Hour. Coming together to play music requires collaboration, listening, creativity and playing your part. This is what we all need to do if we are to find sustainable ways to live on this planet.”

Girl approached by stranger – Wallsend

Police are appealing for the public’s help after a girl was approached by a stranger near Newcastle this morning.

About 8am (Tuesday 24 February) the 12-year-old was walking to school along Tyrell Street in Wallsend when a black Toyota Prado began following her.

The girl walked into the front yard of a nearby home in a bid to evade the vehicle. The Toyota pulled into the driveway of the home before reversing and driving off.

Police from Newcastle City Local Area Command are investigating the incident.

The driver of the Toyota is described as being of Caucasian appearance, aged in 40s, short dark hair, a moustache and wearing reading-style glasses.

Anyone with information should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Meanwhile, the incident has again prompted police to encourage parents to discuss the ‘Safe People, Safe Places’ messages with their children, including;

– Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.

– Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to. Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people.

– Know where safe places are – a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police.

– Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help – police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.

– Don’t talk to people you don’t know and never get into a car with someone you don’t know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don’t know the person inside, do not stop.

– If you are scared and can use a phone, call 000 and tell them you are scared.

– If someone tries to grab you, yell out, ‘Go away, I don’t know you’. This lets other people know you have been approached by someone you don’t know.

Police investigate reports of child approached incidents – Central Hunter Local Area Command

Police attached to Central Hunter Local Area Command are investigating two separate incidents where children have been approached.

The first incident occurred just after 8.30am today (Tuesday 24 February, 2015), a 12-year-old girl was sitting on the eastern side of Metford Road near the intersection of Collinson Street at Tenambit.

A white van stopped in the middle of the road and the driver spoke to the girl before driving away.

The girl boarded her bus and informed her teachers at schools of the incident.

The van is described as being white with no windows, with long PVC pipes on the roof and black and white number plates. The driver is described as having a dark complexion, dark brown hair wearing a high visibility vest.

The second incident occurred about 3pm (Tuesday 24 February 2015), when a 10-year-old girl was walking home from her school towards her bus stop at the intersection of Elgin Street and Ken Tubman Drive at Maitland.

A car stopped near the girl and the driver asked her to get into the car. The girl ran back to school and informed her teachers.

The car is described as being a white station wagon and the driver is a male, aged in his 40s , Caucasian appearance, short hair with a beard and tattoos on his arm.

Meanwhile, the incident has again prompted police to encourage parents to discuss the ‘Safe People, Safe Places’ messages with their children, including;

– Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.

– Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to. Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people.

– Know where safe places are – a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police.

– Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help – police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.

– Don’t talk to people you don’t know and never get into a car with someone you don’t know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don’t know the person inside, do not stop.

– If you are scared and can use a phone, call 000 and tell them you are scared.

– If someone tries to grab you, yell out, ‘Go away, I don’t know you’. This lets other people know you have been approached by someone you don’t know.

Second man charged over death of Corey Power – Strike Force Bumble

A 22-year-old man will face court tomorrow (Wednesday 25 February 2015) in relation to the 2013 death of Corey Power at Young.

Shortly after 5am on Thursday 29 August 2013, Corey Power was located with severe head injuries on Wombat Street, Young. He died a short time later.

Strike Force Bumble, led by detectives from Cootamundra Local Area Command, and assisted by detectives from Wagga Wagga and The Hume local area commands and the Homicide Squad, was established to investigate Mr Power’s death.

Today (Tuesday 24 February 2015) Detectives from Strike Force Bumble have charged a second man in relation to Mr Power’s death.

A 22-year-old, previously from Young, has been charged with murder, accessory before the fact to murder, steal motor vehicle and aggravated break, enter and steal.

He was refused bail and will appear at Wagga Wagga Local Court on 25 February 2015.

A 19-year-old man from Young has already been charged in relation to Mr Power’s death.

The 19-year-old is due to reappear at Wagga Wagga Local Court tomorrow.